Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

I bought a car at a storage locker auction. How do I go

Customer Question

I bought a car at a storage locker auction. How do I go about getting it registered in my name. Previous owner is unco-operative. Thanks.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 19 days ago.

You have to return to the storage locker owner who may have a warehouseman's lien on the vehicle, which permits him to sell the vehicle for unpaid storage charges. Most states have warehouseman lien statutes and if he followed the state statute correctly, he may be able to acquire a new title to himself and then transfer it to you. I am fairly certain that there's no way you can get the title to the car in your name without some kind of legal proceedings. That means that your best route might be to use the storage sale as leverage to persuade the title holder to sign it over to you for a small payment.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.