Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I recently was informed by a friend that they read something

Customer Question

I recently was informed by a friend that they read something terrible about me on the internet. I checked it out and found it to be defaming and untrue and potentially very damaging to my career. Generally is this actionable and how about statute of limitations.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

In what US state was the article published?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
South Carolina
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Thank you.

There's a two-year statute of limitations on defamation suits in South Carolina. Please give me a few minutes to look up your state's defamation law.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

This sounds as if you have a case from your description. To win a defamation suit in South Carolina, you would have to prove that the defendant published disparaging things about you that he knew to be untrue and which damaged your reputation.

The two lead cases in your state that discuss defamatory statements are Fleming v. Rose and Holtzscheiter v. Thomson Newspapers.

You would need to find a civil litigator (trial attorney) in general practice who handles intentional torts. If you don't know where to find such a person, you could contact the South Carolina Bar Association's Lawyer Referral service.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.