ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

When they took my truck i had tools in it. They didn't leave

When they took my truck i had tools in it. They didn't leave me any info as to where I can pick them up. Can they hold my tools ransom?

If you default on your car loan, the car loan lender has the right to repossess and sell your car because your car is the collateral for the loan. However, unless the loan papers you signed state otherwise, the creditor does not have a right to keep or sell any other property. The creditor must also use reasonable care to prevent others from causing loss or damage to your property.

That right is not without some limits.

Lender must return loose items. The car loan lender must preserve and return loose items such as clothing, music CDs, tools, jewelry, cell phones, and detachable media players like Ipods.

Lender does not have to uninstall and return fixtures. Usually, however, the creditor does not have to return any fixtures, customizations, or improvements you made to the car. For instance, the creditor does not have to disassemble and return stereos, sounds systems, tire rims or GPS devices that were installed on the car. If tools are required to uninstall your property, you may not be able to get it back. Instead, the creditor can sell the car with those fixtures.

In most states, creditors cannot charge you a fee for storing or returning your personal property. Creditors usually only have a right to charge you storage fees pertaining to the car itself. This means that the repo agent hired by a creditor to take the car also cannot charge you money or a “convenience fee” to let you get your things back before the car is towed away.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up/down/left/right so that you can see them. Again, please note that you have to click the rating and submit it for the question to close out and for me to get credit for the answer I provided.

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you still have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!