Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I have paid 2 different people for counter tops, both of

Customer Question

Hello! I have paid 2 different people for counter tops, both of them had asked for a down payment which was given to them and neither one has done the job or returned the money. How do I go about this?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I've reported to the BB and the attorney generals office and filed a complaint
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They keep telling me they will get my money back but, every time I try to call them i get no answer or I get the run around
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are the people local so you can contact them personally?

.

How much did you give each person?

.

What is their explanation for the delay?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are not local, the first contractor is from Lititz and his building burned down but was working out of the second contractor that I gave a down payment, the first contractor I gave $1300 the second $1800. 20 Days after I gave the second contractor a deposit of $1800 and no notification he's telling me that he also has gone out of business. So apparently they are both out of business.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Ok, then your recourse here is to file two separate small claims lawsuits against them based on breach of contract actions. If they are not in the same town as you, you will have to sue them where they are located so you can get personal jurisdiction over them and force them to come to court to defend the lawsuit.

.

The court clerks will have the summons and complaint forms you need to file the lawsuits and you don't need an attorney since the limit is $12,000 per case. Once filed, you will just have them served by the sheriff, the clerks will help with that, and then gather your evidence and come to court and tell your story to the judge.

.

thanks

.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

.

Did you have any further questions that I can help with?

.

.

thanks