Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Are the online divorces legal? I can't find a divorce lawyer

Customer Question

are the online divorces legal?
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process
Customer: I can't find a divorce lawyer in my town so was looking online? Are they safe and Legal>
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South Dakota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Can you tell me where you are seeing this?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

It's not possible to get a divorce entirely online. The forms you get from a website still have to be printed and fled at the courthouse, either in person or by mail. If you and your spouse don't file jointly, you'll have to have them served with notice of the suit by a third party adult. Then, there will be at least one hearing. This is because a judge can only grant a divorce after at least one spouse stands in front of him and swears under oath that the marriage is broken and cannot be repaired.

With that said, if you purchase divorce forms online from a site that sells them, yes, they should get the job done. Make sure the site you're buying from has lawyers write the forms they sell.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.