Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I am having a problem with the insurance company of a driver

Customer Question

I am having a problem with the insurance company of a driver who hit my vehicle on August 8. They are not fixing a problem that is directly related to the accident. Claiming it was prior damage, how can I cut through this stuff and get the car fixed properly?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The claim has been filed and the car was fixed by their preferred body shop which had the car for 5 weeks. Their adjuster saw that the car wasn't fixed properly so sent it to another one of their preferred body shops
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: their "repair Coordinator
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 17 days ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 17 days ago.

Since you don't have any privity of contract with the other driver's insurance company, what you want to do in this case is file suit against the driver. Whether or not the insurance company pays or not, the other driver is culpable and liable to you for your damages. But, here's the thing...once you file the suit, the other driver will actually become your ally; the reason is that the insurance company is obligated to defend him in this suit and if the insurance company fails to reasonably settle, the insurance company is liable not only for the actual damages, but punitive damages in an amount multiple times the actual damages. And, the other driver won't want to have to pay damages. So, the result of your suit is that it will be both of you against the insurance company. This is typically all you need do, because insurance companies want to avoid punitive damages and the bad publicity that comes with failing to settle. Plus, they have the added incentive to avoid going to court because they are aware that jurors are biased against insurance companies because most everyone has had an experience similar to yours.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!