Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have a leaking roof that is fairly new and I don't know

Customer Question

I have a leaking roof that is fairly new and I don't know who is responsible and I don't think my insurance will cover it. Do you want the whole story it's not that complicated.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Florida zip code 34210 - Bradenton
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I called the contractor. He said his warranty is up. He told me to contact GAF the roofing manufacturer and they are in a class action suit for defective roofing. They sent a packet which I can't fill out without a professional helping me. I contacted my insurance agent. It seems that its going to be only covered by storm damage. But they are sending out an adjuster at some time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: When the contractor who put the roof on is working for another company or they've changed their name. The roof he put on leaked and ruined my ceilings. The second roof also leaked and he had to come out a few times. And then he replaced my ceilings. I suspect it is poor workmanship. I do not know I am so frustrated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The water is also leaking in an interior wall. I discovered mold this afternoon and water and that is why I am asking you. This is really a drag. I spent a lot of money for a new rooof and the GAF is supposed to be a 50 year roof.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Who sent you the packet? Is it a class action law firm?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
GAF the shingle company sent the packet.
I was told by another roofer that GAF has a lawsuit and checked online. They are but admit no guilt. The GAF document asks for pictures and a sample of the roofing product taken by a professional and to send a whole shingle in. It says if I replace the roof without their permission I may not be compensated. It also says that if I have to replace it I must give them an ample time "heads up", that that is what my intentions are.Next I got a phone call from the original installer {but with a different company in sales} that essentially said his crew didn't know what they were doing and I had a tricky roof.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I prefer my answer online.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

First, you will want to take a look at this link and see if you are bound by the settlement and call them to see what the terms are and how you can recover. If you are not bound, then you may be able to pursue your own breach of warranty action against GAF and the installer both so that they do not point the finger at the other at trial. I would suggest that you contact a consumer law attorney in your area to see if he/she is willing to take the suit on a contingency fee basis of 33% if the case settles and 45% if it goes to trial.

Here is a link to help you get started.