Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law

I retained a lawyer to represent me in a school allegation

Customer Question

I retained a lawyer to represent me in a school allegation case. I was also a member of the
Memphis Education Association, A teacher union. They refused to write a grievance for me which would have saved my job. The Memphis City School, principal did not call a union
representative in the office when I was confronted with the allegation. The principal went
solely on what the students said. The lawyer, took my money and have not file nothing for me. This happen in 2012. I have been in continuous dialog with him. He keep making promises and never followed with none of his promises. I am beyond ready to take action on him.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 21 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

I am sorry that this has happened to you. It sounds like the lawyer has breached ethical obligations owed to you as part of his professional responsibilities. The Tennessee Rules of Professional Conduct require a lawyer to be competent, prompt, and diligent. It is clear that this is not the case with respect to your lawyer's representation of you.

As a result, you have two avenues to explore. First, you can file a complaint with the Tennessee Bar Association to complain about your lawyer's conduct. Second, you can file a malpractice claim against the lawyer in order to recover the money you paid him plus damages that occurred as a result of his negligence. There are other attorneys that focus on malpractice lawsuits; I would suggest hiring a local attorney who can help you pursue your claim against your old attorney.

I hope this has been at least somewhat helpful, and feel free to ask any more questions you may have.