Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I used to work for a dentist. My husband had a fitting for a

Customer Question

I used to work for a dentist. My husband had a fitting for a crown the same week that dentist retired. The dentist who bought her practice intalled the crown two weeks later when it came in. The original dentist told me not to worry about billing insurance for the crown but to write it off as a thank you for helping her out. A year later she is claiming that she never said that and now wants her money. According to the county, her business license is terminated. Can she still sue for the money?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 16 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 16 days ago.

Was the business license in place when she performed the work?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I guess. I don't know when it was terminated
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 16 days ago.

If the license was in place when the work was performed then there is no question they would have the right to try and collect on it, even if the county license is terminated.

If it wasn't then it is arguable that she wouldn't have the right to collect, but it is not by any means certain. Since a dentist has a different license, then she can make the argument that a local license may subject her to a fine, but doesn't affect her ability to do dental work and collect for that. It is completely different than a corporation which has lost its license due to failure to pay fees or taxes, since that is the only requirement of a corporation.