Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am trying to decide how to deal with the leased BMW I

Customer Question

I am trying to decide how to deal with the leased BMW I have. I can't afford to pay the lease anymore because I am unemployed. BMW said that they will not take the car back.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I am in Westchester NY and the lease is from CT dealer
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have the lease until 5/1027 the total payment for that time will be about $3,800
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Your best recourse here is to see if you can get someone to take over the lease by assigning it to them where they basically are substituted in for you for the remainder of the lease. There are websites that can assist with putting you in contact with someone who may be interested in taking over the lease.. LeaseQuit.com comes to mind. You may have to throw in some extra money to boot to cover some amount of the monthly lease cost to reduce it so someone would take it over, but it is better than having it repoed and then being sued for the full amount.

.

.

thanks