Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

N called by the IRS saying that I owe $5000 which is

Customer Question

n called by the IRS saying that I owe $5000 which is ridiculous as I have only paid taxes for the years that they are talikng about.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have no idea. the IRS officer told me that they had sent me two registered letters but I have received nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am not happy with the threats that I was given by the IRS agent LUKE MATTHEWS. He said that I could lose my house and car, but I don't have either. Also I have no money as my daughter stole $5000 from me when I was in hospital for three months earlier this year. I have never been able to recover from this. I need some serious care .I am not able to lo able of my life and need a constant helper.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

You need not worry about this. This is a total scam...don't pay them a dime. The IRS is fully aware of this (http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Reiterates-Warning-of-Pervasive-Telephone-Scam) and has the following instructions for you:

"If you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS, here’s what you should do:

If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to think that you owe any taxes (for example, you’ve never received a bill or the caller made some bogus threats as described above), then call and report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 1.***-***-****.

You can file a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant; choose “Other” and then “Imposter Scams.” If the complaint involves someone impersonating the IRS, include the words “IRS Telephone Scam” in the notes."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I see you requested a phone call. I will be happy to discuss this further with you by phone. But, when I tried to accept, I got the following message: " payment failure"