Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I have moved into an apartment about 4 months ago. I have

Customer Question

I have moved into an apartment about 4 months ago. I have now received an emotional support animal because of medical issues. My landlord has a no dog policy. She wants to relocate me to a different apartment location. Is that legal?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: filed against me on her part?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No phone call, Thank you though
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

It is illegal for the landlord to discriminate against you because of the service/emotional support animal. They can not charge you a fee or additional deposit and may not force you to vacate the premises due to the presence of the animal. The law does not consider such animals as pets.

If the landlord harasses you or attempts to evict you then you can sue for damages and also file a complaint with the attorney general's office.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but can they relocate me to a different apartment or would that be considered them denying me my apartment now?
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

No, they may not force you to relocate or treat you any differently.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can you refer me to where that would be located in the law? I am meeting with my landlord tomorrow and She wants to relocate me to a pet friendly apartment complex, so I would like to be prepared to show her that is illegal.
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

It is a violation of the Fair Housing Act (federal law).