Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law

I purchased a Motor Home and had it financed. I was able to

Customer Question

I purchased a Motor Home and had it financed. I was able to pay it off early and was never provided a pink slip and the DMV will not give me title without the previous owner or the dealership (out of business) can produce a title. I have not been able to operate this $45,000 vehicle for two years now. Per California vehicle code 5753 should I move forward with a lawsuit? And how do I get this fixed. The DMV investigative services will not help me. I have had an open investigation since February 2015 with not one follow up. I have contacted them but have been told their is nothing that they could do.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What you will need to do is get a California title.

This is the form for a bonded title:

This form is used to support the issuance of a California title when regular evidence of ownership for the vehicle is not obtainable.

However, if you know the person who actually has the title of the car and they won't give it to you, then yes, you could sue them for the title.

If you know who has title, then when you pruchased the vehicle, you had a deal to buy the car from him and he was supposed to deliver title. If he cannot, you should be entitled to a return of your money. Give him a time certain, say 10 days, to deliver title and note to him if failure to do so will end up getting himself a lawsuit for the monies you've paid in breach of contract. Deliver it certified mail, return receipt requested and keep a copy of all communications including this one. You may want to have a lawyer send the letter so the person takes the letter seriously.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The bank that financed me attempted to do so. They sent a letter to the new owner which retains the same name and the letter was returned via certified mail. After the letter was returned to the bank, the bank then sent me the certified letter unopened and instructed me to go the DMV to provide the unopened letter and fill out the paperwork to obtain ownership papers which turned out to be untrue.
I would like to find and attorney to handle this being vehicle code 5753 states that reasonable attorney fees can be incurred. What type of attorney do I look for?, I have never had to hire an attorney before.

Any local attorney should be able to handle this matter since it is not that complicated of a case. Maybe try to find someone with experience in property law.