Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Second opinion] - my brother passed away has no will and not

Customer Question

Second opinion] - my brother passed away has no will and not married...has two children age 34 and 15...can oldest begin corresponding with banks and social security to arrange financial matters? Example, close out bank/savings/safe deposit boxes file paperwork with social security admin to transfer benefits to younger child? Brother was 68 years old. Assets less than $10K
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 19 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

The banks and and Social Security Administration will not deal with the child if there is no Court Order giving him permission to act on behalf of her father's estate. So, the child needs to file for Administration/Probate of the Estate with the local Courthouse--use the procedure for filing for a Small Estate to be appointed the Administrator of the Estate so that he can use that Order to deal with third parties like the banks and Social Security Administration.

He can obtain probate/administration of estate forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.