Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I have a joint savings account with my 92 yr. old mother who

Customer Question

I have a joint savings account with my 92 yr. old mother who will be soon be in a nursing home. I did this as I have no heirs & was in poor health. How does this asset influence her ability for Minnesota General Assistance?"
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just in a Bank statement. We did this in 2003.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

For purposes of assets, jointly held checking accounts, savings accounts, certificates of deposit, savings certificate, or other time deposits, the state will consider the entire balance to belong to each person, except when the other owner is an MA applicant or enrollee, or a responsible relative whose assets you deem available. In that situation, presume ownership of equal shares. In other words, they will count it as one half your mother's and one half yours.