Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have a college professor who told I was a criminal and a

Customer Question

I have a college professor who told I was a criminal and a crook to a student I had working on a Children's Cancer Awareness Project
I do not collect a dime from anyone
I have a copy of the text outright defaming me
I am a semi retired father of three and grandfather of 8 that has nothing more than a parking ticket on my record.I can be contacted at 347 328- 3023
my name is***** will awaiting your call
Thanking you in advance
Nick Barbaro
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Were these statements made to you or were they made to other people?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the text that the Professor sent to the student
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already paid 47 ?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

You can sue them for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence; and,

4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that she retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in court for this matter. Also, any cease and desist letter will carry more impact on attorney letterhead.

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.