Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I'm a CA homeowner and first time landlord. I have two

Customer Question

I'm a CA homeowner and first time landlord. I have two lodgers -- one since Sept. 29 (Ill call L1) and the second since Oct. 1 (Ill call L2). Both have paid rent through Oct. 31.
L1 is the one at issue. He is having trouble "fitting in" and got into a disagreement with L2 to the point where L2 wants little interaction. L1 has a uneven temperament (he's on heavy doctor-prescribed medication which he did tell me beforehand) and can be aggressive and over-bearing (ex. attempting to coheres L2 into different deals with him--sharing costs of water, coffee and television packages not included as part of household. On Oct. 3, L1 had sent me a text indicating that he was unhappy and was to be looking for other housing. After attempting to sit and talk with him about the situation on two separate occasions, I placed a letter under his door indicating eviction. In hind-site the letter should have been a simple notice to move-out. He is month to month and does not have an official rental agreement.
What problem have I caused myself? I have not been served with papers; however, I'd like some professional advice.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 20 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades, and I handle real estate law and landlord-tenant issues.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of just $5 more I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. I presume that both these people are in your home---your primary residence?

2. Do you have a traditional rental agreement?

3. What grounds under your rental agreement are you allowed to evict?

4. What did the letter that you placed under his door say, specifically?

Thanks in advance,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 20 days ago.

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.