How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got letter from debt recovery group for over 10 years old

This answer was rated:

got letter from debt recovery group for over 10 years old judgement date case
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: got sue 10 years ago and since nothing been filed.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can they re open the case after 10 years

Good day, my name is Brandon. I am a California licensed attorney. You mentioned that you're in California. Was the judgment against you rendered in a California court as well?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In ca
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello are you there?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please respond
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please email me your answer

My apologies for the delay.

Since I'm a live attorney, I sometimes have to do live attorney things like get something to drink. I am back now; thank you for understanding...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Your answer plz

To answer your question, California judgments are generally only enforceable for ten years. If a judgment is rendered and no further action is taken for ten years, the judgment can generally no longer be enforced and the creditor is no longer obligated to satisfy the debt. However, it is possible for the creditor to renew the judgment, thereby extending the enforcement beyond ten years. Do you still have the case number ***** the judgment, and do you know in which California county the judgment was rendered?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Case#06cf1006. Los Angeles county

Perfect. May I safely assume that you have not received any sort of notice to indicate that the judgment has been renewed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. Nothing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Great. My recommendation is that you contact the Los Angeles Superior Court to request that they extract the file from their archives and then physically examine the case file to confirm that a renewal hasn't been granted. If it hasn't and if ten years have already passed...

If it hasn't and if ten years have already passed, I would ask the debt recovery group their theory behind why they believe they are entitled to collect on the judgment. My guess is that they won't have an answer and that will be the end of it. You can also ask the debt recovery group if they've filed a renewal before checking with the court, but I can't guarantee that they'll give an honest answer.

Does that make sense?

To be clear, you would expect to have to physically examine the file yourself, but the court can pull the file for your examination.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what should I do? Help

My recommendation is to examine the case file. You would contact the Superior Court and ask them to pull that case number ***** their archives. If there's no renewal in the file, ask the debt collection group why they believe they can still collect.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You are the best

I appreciate that very much. Has my assistance been satisfactory? Have I been able to answer your questions in a way that is clear?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but what if they filed renewal of judgement

If they filed a renewal of judgment in a timely manner, they would typically be able to enforce the debt.

Brandon M. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you