Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

I have an unsecured promissory note. The borrower stopped

Customer Question

I have an unsecured promissory note. The borrower stopped making payments in May. The last check was cut by a business account and signed by someone other than him. Do I have any legal recourse?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in California. He is in Maine.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I just have a signed note. He has been making payments over the last few years.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything. Thanks.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 20 days ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Your legal remedy is to make a demand for repayment and if he fails to repay the note then sue him to obtain a judgment and force repayment.

Once you have a judgement you can garnish his accounts and have his property seized and auctioned off for satisfaction of the judgment.

Expert:  Loren replied 20 days ago.

It is not required that you retain an attorney, but you may find it helpful.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.