Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

Is a surgeon legally required by the government to perform a

Customer Question

Is a surgeon legally required by the government to perform a sentinal lymph node biopsy when performing a mastectomy even if the patient does not want the sentinal node biopsy done? Can the surgeon refuse to do the mastectomy if the patient refuses the additonal sentinal node biopsy due to health reasons?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Each surgeon has a professional discretion when it comes as to how surgical procedure would be performed and what other procedures would be required prior or during the surgery and if the patient is refusing to follow surgeon's advice, then the surgen has the right to refuse to provide any services to such patient.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you did not answer the question I asked is a surgeon legally required by the government to perform a sentinal node biopsy when doing a mastectomy? I was told that this was the case.

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot comment on your specific case, but generally, there is no legal requirement by the gorve, but the proper standard of care would generally require surgeon who is performing mastectomy, to require a sentinal biopsy in some cases and unfortunately, if the patient does not agree to follow surgeon's advice and proposed treatment, then the surgeon cannot be forced to perform surgery under such cicrumstances.