P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

If I lied about myself online, saying I had HIV when I

Customer Question

If I lied about myself online, saying I had HIV when I didn't and have proof that I don't. Am I still under threat of a slander or libel suit?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Defamation of character (including slander and libel) is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the reputation of the victim.

If someone lied about you and that lie harmed your reputation? You can sue the person who lied for defamation.

What your are describing, if you made the post? About yourself? That is NOT defamation.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does that mean I can't be sued? Did I do anything illegal?

It means you did not commit defamation.

Now...if you pretended to have AIDs to solicit money? You could be sued for fraud. But not for defamation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I didn't do it to get money. I don't know why I did it. Since I have documentation from a doctors office that I am HIV negative. Do they have any legal standing against me?

No money? Then you have no issues. It is not a crime to lie online...so you are not at risk for suit

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is no legal action they can take even though it might have hurt them emotionally?

No...what you are describing is NOT a basis for a lawsuit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But does the fear of having HIV still considered defamation? Whether or not I have it?

It would be defamation if you lied about someone else (if you said someone else had defamation and that was a lie).

But lying about yourself, as I have already said, is NOT defamation.

Period.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I told a guy on a dating site I had HIV and he filed a claim with the site that said they took my IP address and sent it to the FBI. He blocked me so i couldnt send him the documentation to prove I was lying. I emailed the site but got no reply. Since i have the documentation to prove otherwise, is there any legal claim against me?

Again, what you are describing is not a basis for a lawsuit. Not sure how else to say it...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything illegal then about it?

SO long as you were not trying to solicit money, there is no crime.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If someone else told me to say those things and I did it. What then?

Again, not a crime..and not a basis to sue you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What about that person who had me say those things, not for money, could they get in trouble?

And why would someone do this? Someone told you to lie about yourself online?? Why???

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They were really mad at me for hurting them.

It is not a crime to ask someone else to lie unless there is a scheme for monetary gain (money)

So it is not a crime for someone to ask you to lie.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil