Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Can a law suit reduce ssi retirement benefits

Customer Question

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Yes any change in income can cause you to loose SSI for awhile.It is income based any change from a settlement or inheritance will possibly affect your benefits.This is only true with SSI here not SSDI.It may be possible for the lawyer to create and fund a special needs trust to avoid this problem.This is a trust exempt as a resource used for the persons personal needs.

Reference

https://web.garretsongroup.com/claimant-education-posts/claimant-education/will-settlement-affect-government-benefits

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Here is information about a Special Needs Trust to shelter the settlement and avoid loss of benefits.

http://specialneedsanswers.com/what-can-my-special-needs-trust-pay-for-without-affecting-my-disability-benefits-14931

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I mean a judgment against me
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

So no the judgment has no effect.They cannot garnish the SSI or your bank account if this is the only funds in it.This is prohibited by federal law from garnishment.It should have no effect.

I appreciate the chance to help you.

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

If you can rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.