Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

My landlord is threatening eviction because I have a friend

Customer Question

My landlord is threatening eviction because I have a friend living on my couch for the last 2 weeks. Is that a valid threat? I am not entirely sure where I can find that clause on my lease.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 18 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.

Thank you.

Most residential leases include a clause that state guests must be added to the lease if they stay more than a certain number of nights. Sometimes that's a number of days in a row, and sometimes that's a number of days throughout the course of the month. If your lease has such a clause, it's enforceable.

If your landlord is saying that you're violating the lease, they should be able to tell you what page it's on. But look for a paragraph that says something like "Guests."

I'm afraid there's been a problem with your payment. If you still want me to read the lease and tell you what it says, please contact customer service. If you are OK reading it yourself looking for that language (or asking the landlord where the lease says that, which could save you time and money), then please click the 5-star button to leave a positive rating and ensure I get paid for the time spent answering your question this evening.

It's time for me to sign off for the night. If you still need help, please let me know after you speak with customer service and I will get back to you in the morning.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
okay thank you

You're welcome. I'm just waiting for confirmation from customer service that I can proceed.