Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Need to know if a company can be liable for an employee used

Customer Question

need to know if a company can be liable for an employee used that employment to begin committing fraud, even after he left that place of employment?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in TN but the fraud was committed in AZ.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Filed fraud with my credit Union, working on police report
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: do I have to pay or can I get one on a contingency basis?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

An employer is liable for accidents caused by an employee through negligence within the scope of his employment. However, an employer is NOT liable for willful, wrongful acts such as fraud, unless there is some evidence that people high up in the organization were involved in the crimes. This is both because committing fraud isn't an accident and because fraud would never be considered to be within the scope of someone's employment. Employers don't have an obligation to stop their employees from committing crimes.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.

Do you have any other questions about this?