ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney

I TAKE KNITTING NEEDLES aboard aircraft to knit while

Customer Question

I TAKE KNITTING NEEDLES aboard aircraft to knit while inflight?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas and will be traveling to N. C. in November.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no. I wanted to know beforehand. I've never seen anything about knitting needles.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know; knitting needles aboard a flight?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Knitting needles and needlepoint items including scissors under four-inches are permitted in your carry-on bags. However, circular thread cutters, or any cutter with a blade must be packed in your checked baggage.

Per the TSA:

In general, you may place your knitting needles and needlepoint tools in carry-on or checked baggage.

Circular thread cutters or any other cutter or needlepoint tools that contain blades must be placed in checked baggage. You are permitted to keep scissors smaller than 4 inches in your carry-on baggage.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

So in short, don't bring any heirloom needles, and the more benign ones the better (plastic, for example).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)