Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Person gave me the title to a vehicle and signed the title,

Customer Question

person gave me the title to a vehicle and signed the title, I sold the vehicle for him and never transferred vehicle into my name, are there any consequences to this, if yes, what are they and how can I avoid any legal action.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Can you please clarify what actually happened? For example:

1) X gave me the vehicle and signed over the title to me.

2) I sold the vehicle to Y, but did not transfer the title to Y.

Etc. Please clarify specifically what happened. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
gentleman asked me to "get rid of the vehicle" and i thought he was just talking bull. then not long after he brought me the title to the vehicle and he signed the back of it. i sold the vehicle to someone else and i did not transfer title into my name.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry, but that does not answer my question. For example, when you say "id did not transfer title into my name," I do not know if you mean you never transferred it to your name when you first got it...?

Can you please clarify the scenario using the verbiage I provided as an example:

Etc.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When the owner gave me the title he signed it, I sold it with his signature on the title I was basically the middle man if you will and the original owner is now taking me to court
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.
"he brought me the title to the vehicle and he signed the back of it."
I am guessing you never submitted that title to the authorities to have it transferred to YOUR name.
What someone in your situation wants to do then is to SUBMIT THAT TITLE so that the title gets transferred to your name. Once that is done, then you can formally transfer the title (now in your name) to the buyer's name.
OR, simply have the original owner get another title, and transfer it over to YOUR buyer.
Either way, the buyer will get title to the vehicle, which is what they are after.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!