Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I let a person use my license to register his car in my name

Customer Question

I let a person use my license to register his car in my name in mass. believe its insured he was stopped for driving violations and not having a valid license on him. police want me to go to them for a talk. friends say don't talk to them. police want to get a warrant for my arrest. I just got a good job and fear loosing it because of this. what will they charge me with?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if you allowed someone to use your license and he registered the car in your name, you are liable for anything that may have happened with that car. It is actually considered fraud and can actually lead to a suspension of your license for up to 12 months and misdemeanor criminal charges up to 12 months in jail.

You SHOULD NOT go talk to them without a local attorney representing you, because anything you say they can use against you and you do not need to admit to anything. YOu DO have to go speak to the police, but you must use a local attorney to do so.