TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My husband keeps buying things and trying to get loans of

Customer Question

My husband keeps buying things and trying to get loans of large amounts. These are in his name but why would he do this, does he think I will be responsible? Will the judge see thru this behavior? We have an order of protection since end of may. He got loans and an expensive vehicle at end of August
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

While I can only guess what your husband is thinking, I can tell you that you are not responsible for any loans that he has taken out after you separated.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. It happened after we had to turn in our financial statements. Soon after, he started applying for credit line increases and traded a truck that we have an injunction that nothing can be disposed of he traded for one that cost $27,000. I just don't understand why he's doing this
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As for finances I have more debt than him.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One more ?, others have answered this but I want your take on this. I responded to his proposal. I have custody of kids. I was under duress. He kept having kids pressure me. I was wiped out financially. I sent a proposal and it saying shared care and how 2 divide assets. I to totally regret shared care. He travels and I want them with me at all times but I know he will stick me financially. Is my proposal binding
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again.

Although a judge may choose to enforce the agreement, nothing regarding children is ever 100% binding. Any agreement regarding children can be modified based upon what is in the best interest of the children. Accordingly, if your husband is never at home and cannot properly care for the children, then you can certainly point that out to the judge and ask that the custody agreement be modified. You can argue that it is in the best interest of the children if you have full custody.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need further clarification, and please remember to provide positive feedback via the stars. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just want to clarify. The proposal has not been signed. Is it binding if it hasn't been signed? But judge can still choose to enforce it?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again.

If you haven't signed it, then it is not binding on you at all, and you can renegotiate any of the terms.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello I need to ask you a question
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn't rescind my proposal in time. We both agreed on shared care I was under duress. We didn't agree on the assets tho. I now do not agree to shared care. How binding is this? He wrote back saying he agrees to shared care so we both agreed on that. Now he is not giving me full asset amounts now he's saying I'm dead locked cause there goes my child support to stay in the house. Is this legally binding on shared care. I have not signed anything. Can I back out of shared care?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again.

Can you explain this: "I didn't rescind my proposal in time."

I'm not sure what that means? Was there a deadline in which the agreement became binding without your signature?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. I just meant after submitting my proposal, I knew I made a mistake by time I wanted to take back my offer he already responded with agreement to that part of it. Now I don't agree to shared care. I'm afraid I can't take it back cause it looks like we both agreed on custody. There was no time limit
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We are to have a pretrial conference and Guardian et litem was put on hold cause it looked like we both agreed on that part. Now he's telling people I won't get my child support cause we agreed on shared care. I'm scared I'm going to have to settle on the asset part. He's never home. He travels for work.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again.

As long as the agreement indicates that you need to sign in order for it to become valid (such as a blank signature space for you to sign), then you should be okay arguing that the agreement was never finalized because you did not sign and your signature is required.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do i know it needs to be signed or not? It's a divorce proposal. I'm not sure it needs signed or not. Do divorce proposals need signed?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
don't divorce proposals need to be accepted entirely not just parts?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again.

You'll have to read the proposal to see if it indicates that your signature is required. I'm not even sure how the proposal was put forth. But generally speaking, an agreement in a divorce needs to be signed by both parties. Moreover, such agreements are either accepted in whole, or they are rejected. A party cannot reject part of the agreement and then hold the other party responsible for the rest of the agreement.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need further clarification, and please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.