Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My daughter father passed away and the ME needs someone to

Customer Question

My daughter father passed away and the ME needs someone to sign for the body for him to release him. Will my daughter be responsible for the expense of a funeral? She has no contact with him in years. He has brothers and sisters also. I do not want her stuck with responsibility for the financial cost of everything.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: West Virginia, Beckley. We just found out it happened. He was found dead at a local hotel, most likely an overdose. He had drug and alcohol issues. ME has the body in Charleston WV
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No Just the liability my daughter may face if she signs the body out from the ME
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Daughter has no legal duty to take on this responsibility if she doesn't want to. But if she signs to accept responsibility for the body, then it is on her to pay for any burial or cremation.

.

So if she doesn't want to be stuck with the problem of dealing with his remains, she wouldn't want to be the one signing to accept that duty.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's what I thought. Some of his family want her to sign for him so know I now for sure. THANKS!!

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time. Don't let daughter get talked into taking on this burden...

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

thanks much