LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

My daughter has been employed by the state for over 20 years

Customer Question

My daughter has been employed by the state for over 20 years and is currently a single mother making $27,000 a year. Deadbeat Dad provides no support. My question is that when she signed a lease for her apartment (she is in primarily a HUD complex) she wasn't eligible for a lower rent because they counted her retirement benefits as part of her income. Is this legal for the apartment owners to do?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 24 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your daughter's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

For all purposes, retirement income is income for determining whether someone is entitled to subsidized housing under state/federal law. Yes, it was mandatory that the manager consider her retirement income.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 24 days ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,