Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

My daughter was issued a Minor in Possession Saturday

Customer Question

My daughter was issued a Minor in Possession Saturday morning in the parking lot of the CSU football game. She's a junior at the school. I'm not so worried about the Minor in possession. Frankly, she's 20 years old and never been in any trouble and I'm secretly happy to get it over with. I'm in California and just wondering if there is anything other than a fine that I should be worried about?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?
Customer: It was a Colorado State University football game. I thought you were in Colorado?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. She scanned a copy of the ticket for me.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope - that's it.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 20 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 20 days ago.

Let me check something.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 20 days ago.

On a first offense in Colorado, a minor will almost certainly be assessed a fine, ordered to do some community service (such as picking up trash) and then ordered to attend some type of alcohol awareness class(es).

They no longer automatically lose their license for a first offense but if she doesn't do the community service or doesn't go to any classes ordered by the court she can, at that point, lose the driver's license.

The fine will be up to $100 plus a $25 surcharge. Occasionally you will see a judge that doesn't order a fine and just orders the class but that's rare.

It shows up on a background check just like a traffic ticket and usually doesn't have much effect on a job application but, of course, that depends on the employer.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you. She wasn't driving. She was simply walking into the stadium. She doesn't have a Colorado license. She has a California license.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 20 days ago.

Colorado will ask California to suspend it and they are all signators to the treaty between states so CA will suspend it if it comes to that, whether she was driving or not.

However, that only happens if she fails to do what the judge tells her to.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Do they have a requirement to report it to the school? She's a student at Colorado State University.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 20 days ago.

There is nothing in the law that states they have to report it to the school. However, since the incident happened on the college parking lot there may be some system in place for doing so.