Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I own a small business it's been very difficult to do my job

Customer Question

I own a small business it's been very difficult to do my job because of my local tax collector making standards rules regulations that only apply to my small business I've been accused of knowing someone else who had the same businesses I do simply because we're the same race the last thing is the last straw where they refuse for 2 months to process a title transfer from New York registration to Florida title but once I sent my business partner which is a different race to do it he had no problem and there are other little things that they have requested that is not needed in order to process paperwork since day one of me presenting myself as a small business processing title work Ford dealers mechanic shops tow companies complete work for trucking companies I have been met with resistance discrimination and unlawful refusal to process my paperwork which has subsequently force me to give refunds not allowed my business to go to its potential one stop that should only take me one day to do if it take me 3 to 6 weeks I have complained to several administrators I have even made appointments to personally talk to the County Tax Collector the current one and the previous one look for some reason there's always a scheduling issue I get there for my meeting and either he's at lunch I'm told that they change the day and called me I've never been that type of person to wear my race on my sleeve because I've always believed that no one can hold you back but yourself but this is clearly discrimination based on the platform that I'm in cahoots with a Criminal just so happens to be the same race as I am
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have tried to work this out directly and you have the proof now your partner did not have the same issues this is your direct evidence of discrimination and your next step can be to file a civil rights violation suit in the US District Court (federal court) against the tax collector's office and you can seek money damages as well as an injunction against them. Normally a state entity cannot be sued in federal court absent some federal claim and discrimination based on race is a civil rights violation that allows you to sue them in the federal court and unlike many people who have only circumstantial evidence you have the direct evidence because they let your partner do what they would not let you do. You should get a local civil rights attorney and take them to court which from what you describe above about them avoiding you would be your sole remaining option.