Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

Adult child with disability was approved for ssi two months

Customer Question

Adult child with disability was approved for ssi two months before she turned 18 and was not paid anything until after her 18th birthday. This person has been disabled since birth, diagnosed with a dozen very serious mental health diagnoses. Jump ahead 11 years to today and it is time for her ssi to convert to retirement dependent benefits under her parents' record. She was transitioned under her father's record but must also qualify under her mothers record (parents are the same age retiring within a month of each other) Now, instead of qualifying under her mothers record as she did under her father's, social security has decided to do a full medical review. Will this stop or delay benefits she has been getting for 11 years (ssi) or benefits under her father's record for which first payment is supposed to be November 1? Why would social security do a new medical review when her original award was said to have been for life and she has never worked?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 24 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 24 days ago.

In addition to the initial claims process, there are post-adjudicative processes for both Social Security and SSI disability beneficiaries. These processes include re-determinations and benefit adjustments for SSI recipients, continuing disability reviews, and the monitoring of work activity. Under Social Security law, all Social Security and SSI disability cases must be reviewed from time to time to make sure that people receiving benefits continue to meet the disability requirements.

Also, the benefits should continue in payment status under either or both the child's and/or the father's record unless there is strong proof that a person's impairment has medically improved and that he is able to return to work. Otherwise, benefits stop 3 months after the beneficiary is notified that his disability ended.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I wanted case specific information. This is general information that can be found on social security website
Expert:  Maverick replied 24 days ago.

Thank you for clarifying your needs on this. I do not have access to Westlaw which is a third-party fee based service for finding specific case law. I will opt out and let another expert try to assist you.