Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

What is the Law regarding the sale of used mattresses for a

Customer Question

What is the Virginia Law regarding the sale of used mattresses for a consignment shop?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We have been set up to spray material, quilts, pillows, etc.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so, just need clarification on this issue. I am also an auctioneer and for as long as I can remember you weren't legally allowed to sell mattresses, however I could sell a bed and the mattress was part of the sale.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Here are the bedding and upholstery regulations in VA: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/EnvironmentalHealth/Food/Documents/2007%20Bedding%20%20Regs.pdf
They say that the person selling used upholstery and bedding must be licensed and that such items need to be sanitized and cleaned before sale. You can review the regulations by copying and pasting that link into your browser which are all current.