How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9299
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I loaned money to a friend for the second time. The first

Customer Question

I loaned money to a friend for the second time. The first time it was repaid within a reasonable time so felt safe in doing it again. However, I did not get a signed note and all I could show would be a cancelled check. It has been 14 months, a series of my attempts to get repayment by talking to him by phone, all to no avail. He acknowledges he owes it but says he can't pay. What recourse do I have?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

If your friend will not sign an IOU, the usual remedy in this situation is to get a small claims court judgment, see​

I hope this information is helpful.

Related Legal Questions