Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am a severely disabled vet that been in a wheelchair for

Customer Question

I am a severely disabled vet that been in a wheelchair for the last 50 years. I am deaf also. So we had a security system installed a few weeks ago. The borough has arrested me for the alarm going off and they had to respond to it. Is this legal under ada law?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It is illegal under the ADA to discriminate against someone based only on their disability. If your alarm went off falsely and they treated you no differently than a person who was not disabled, then there is no discrimination. The law just prevents them from treating you differently. If you require some reasonable accommodation regarding your alarm, then you need to request that of the borough and specify what type of accommodation you need and they can require proof from your doctor. However, absent your doctor supporting your need for reasonable accommodation with your alarm system, as long as they are not treating you differently from non-disabled people would not be a violation of the ADA.