Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I helped my ex-girlfriend lease a car but I had to be the

Customer Question

I helped my ex-girlfriend lease a car but I had to be the primary signer. Now that we have split up I asked her to take my name off the lease by refinancing it or buying it out right. She and her significant other haven't done it. Is there anything I can do to force her to do it or some type of legal agreement that makes her totally responsible for the lease and car?
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Since you are the primary signer, you have the same legal rights as her to the vehicle. That means that if you want to go get the car, you can legally do so. Since the car is in your name, if you don't have a key, you can go to the dealer and have them make a copy based on the VIN. Then you can take possession of the car and basically hold it hostage until she agrees in writing to either be entirely liable for it or refinance it in her name.

.

But the reality of it is that if she has bad credit, she won't be able to refi and any private agreement between you and her won't mean anything to the lender who has your name on the contract to be on the hook if things go badly.

.

So unless she can refi the lease or buy it out, you are unfortunately stuck on the lease contract until it expires.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks