Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I live in missouri, I own a phone that my ex girlfriend had.

Customer Question

JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in missouri, I own a phone that my ex girlfriend had. Her email and social meda and cloud files were still active, can i access them leagally, she did give me verbal permision, tinking i couldn't access the info ( i believe)
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: as far as theft no. she had filed a restraining order falsely. It has been thrown out
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've seen on messages where she has 2 different men stating that they'd do me harm for her and her asking them prior to do so, with one and the other came out and offered it. she then gave one my info (work and a face book photo of me)
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

You are not hacking into her accounts if she gave you the passwords and permission to see her communications.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can i use them against her without any laws being broken, i have possecions at her home and need them, so i can continue to stay at current place untill my financial situation improves.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just spent the last of my money asking the question here
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

What do you mean by use them against her? If you mean would they be admissible evidence in court, the answer is yes, if they are relevant to the matter before the court, legally obtained and overcome any hearsay objection.

If you mean can you threaten her with them, the answer would be no. That could be a criminal act on your part. You cannot use them to extort her by threatening to have her arrested, even if you can rightfully get her arrested.

If the texts and emails show evidence that she is arranging to have someone hurt you and you wanted to get her arrested for that, however, you wouldn't need to threaten her to use that against her. If you're fearful for your safety, you could report her to the police, show them the evidence and ask that charges be pressed.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.