Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am a semi retired physician, i am a board certified

Customer Question

I am a semi retired physician, i am a board certified pathologist that do some part time work in Texas, I spend about half of my time in Las Vegas where I own several rental condominiums. I have been a card holder with American Express for more than 20 years and i pay whatever i spend or i owe to American Express always on time, for that reason I never have been charged a late fee. Few days ago i decided to put money from my savings in the purchase of some Gold coins from Rosland Capital. In order to expedite the transaction i charged them to my Platinum American Express card. The transaction went through and my plan was to immediately charge this bill to my checking account as i always do with my bills from Am. Express.The next day (september 29, 2016) I received a call from Mr. Mike Sterling from the financial department of Am.Exp. and in a very aggressive tone he questioned me about my use of the Am. Exp. card . I explained to him the situation and i told him that I could pay that amount immediately charging it to one my checking accounts. He did not care fro that and proceded to ask me "what did you buy" which I told him I felt that was not his any of his business. He proceded to freeze my account. I asked for a financial supervisor to solve the problem. Today (9/30/16) i had a call from Joanna Mcbae (Jo***** *****) who told me that they were going to do a financial investigation and that i had to send them a completed 4506T form by which they will review my Tax reports and if not done she would cancel my card. I am convinced that this is improper and if my account is cancelled I will loose the more than 600,000 membership Rewards points that I have accumulated through the years. I feel that this harassment is improper specially with some somebody that has been an Am.Express for more than 20 Years.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I have residence in Nevada and Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No this is my first enquire about this situation
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my question is: Is it proper that Am. Express people should review my tax reports when I have been paying all my bills on time and i am not asking them of lend me any money and they are treating me with cancelling my card and make me lose all the >600,000 membership reward points that I have accumulated through many years if I do not let them review my tax reports.

Thank you for the information.

No, it is not proper. If your Card is cancelled and you lose the accumulated reward points, the action would be considered a deceptive and and unfair practice. You can sue AMEX for the recovery of the points and also file complaint against AMEX with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Federal Trade Commission for this deceptive and unfair practice.

You can obtain the forms to file the lawsuit at your local Justice of the Peace Court, in the Clerk's office.