Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Who are some of the best appellate attorney's practicing in

Customer Question

Who are some of the best appellate attorney's practicing in illinois (for dui/murder convictions)?
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I’m a family lawyer, former trial lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience and also have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues and other legal issues. I look forward to helping you today.

At the end of our discussion I’m going to ask you to rate me, okay? I’d appreciate it because this is the only way we get credit for our time here today. It is at no extra cost to you.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. You are advised to retain your own attorney. The attorney herein is licensed in NY only.

If I’m back not here right away, I’m typing my answer. Thanks!

I am an appellate attorney in my state. We are actually not allowed to make referrals here, and I'm sorry. That is the policy of the site. However, I have been allowed to send you a list of attorneys in your area, if you let me know where, and I will send you my free, short and easy to understand guide about how to pick a good appellate attorney. I do this for my customers here, and many of them have found excellent attorneys easily based on the guide I send.

Would you like me to do that for you? I would just need to know where you are located unless you want me to look in the entire state.

Please understand that JA has a policy about not making referrals so I'm doing the next best thing. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if you would send me a list of appellate (with extremely good track records and not recommending) lawyers in the state of Illinois with their area of concentration/specialty is appealing dui w/death guilty verdict. I really need someone specifically in that area to help find my brother's case - wrongfully convicted.

The list will be a general list. I will provide a links for you, one for appellate and one for criminal -- you obviously want an appellate attorney who does criminal work. For example, I'm an appellate attorney but am limited to family law on appeal.

This is the best we can do here but I have heard that customers tell me they have found wonderful attorneys based on the list I send and the guide I send with it. Is that okay?

I will tell you exactly what to look for and what to avoid.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, please send.

Will do. Be right back.

Illinois Appellate Attorneys:

https://www.avvo.com/search/lawyer_search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=appellate+attorney&loc=Illinois&commit=Search

There are 2600+ but already I'm seeing lawyers listed as appeals and dui, so that's what you want.

Illinois DUI attorneys:

https://www.avvo.com/search/lawyer_search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=DUI&loc=Illinois&commit=Search

In this list, there are over 3,000. See who is listing dui AND appeals.

How to choose an attorney.

Here's what to look for and what to avoid.

Avoid: Any red mark next to an attorney's name, such as misconduct. That usually means the lawyer was either disbarred, censured, cited for misconduct, or suspended from the practice of law.

Ignore: Ratings, such as 6.5 or 10, which has the highest. A 6.5 attorney may be even better than a 10. It's difficult to say. The site has its own formula for rating attorneys and many attorneys get a 10 because they belong to bar associations and sometimes give lectures. That does not necessarily mean they're the best when it comes to going to court.

What to look for: See what the clients’ reviews state, especially in the field that you're interested in (i.e. wills, custody, guardianship, etc.). That is probably going to be the most important thing. Many people have not been rated, but if there are a bunch of them who are, go with the ones who have multiple ratings and that are outstanding.

I would also suggest you find someone who has been practicing at least 10 years, the more the better. The site will tell you how long they're practicing law. You don't want someone just a few years out of law school to take on your tough case. If you can find someone practicing 20 years, even better.

Take a few names and make some phone calls.

Ask for a free consultation -- see if you can get one. If you don't feel confident in the lawyer, find another one. That's why it's good to make a list of the ones you want, maybe 4-6 lawyers and you'll find one.

If you don't like the lawyer, or aren't confident in him or her, thank the lawyer and get up and walk out. Don't sign anything such as a retainer unless you are sure you want to hire this person.

I think you're going to have plenty to choose from. Does this help?

Does this help you? Please understand I'd love to give you a referral but my hands are tied. I know what I'd be looking for though, and that's what I listed above. I just want to make sure you're satisfied with the guidance I gave you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Although this was somewhat helpful, but not really what I'm looking for, this link forwarded me to a trully larger list which would further confuse anyone starting out yet still trying to find that one or even a few extremely good attorney's that I would feel confident in knowing they will give their best win fighting the case. The link was one that I already pulled on the search engine. But thanks anyway.

No problem. Just trying to help. Best of luck.