Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am trying to determine if I have legal grounds to sue my

Customer Question

I am trying to determine if I have legal grounds to sue my air conditioning installers
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we paid $8000 in May for an A/C to be installed, and it is still not working. Right now we have holes in our ceiling, water damage to our ceiling and no A/C
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they did not properly install the air conditioner since MAY of 2016 and here we are going into October, they are in breach of contract and yes you have grounds to sue them for ALL of the damages their negligent installation caused. You need to start by getting in another contractor to examine what is wrong and give you a written estimate on repairs, you would then first file a complaint with the state attorney general against the installers. If the attorney general cannot resolve the issue then you would need a local consumer protection attorney to sue the installer for not just breach of contract, but unfair and deceptive business practices which would entitle you up to triple damages plus attorney's fees as well.