Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I hold the lien on an auto that has been impounded by local

Customer Question

I hold the lien on an auto that has been impounded by local authorities and it is under investigation with a crime. What is my right in regard to getting the car back?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: nc
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the driver / owner is in jail. it was impounded on arrest
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

You aren't likely to get the vehicle back as long as it is part of an ongoing investigation. Once the investigation is completed then you shouldn't have a problem although they may try and make you pay impound fees.

If you have a lawyer that you use regularly you may want him to write a letter explaining that you are ready to pick the car up now and that they shouldn't hold it and then charge impound fees on it since that would be a breach/violation of your civil rights.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.