Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

This is a 60 year old woman asking what is my legal right if

Customer Question

Hi... this is a 60 year old woman asking what is my legal right if im separete from my husband of 19 years? In oregon?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I need to know what is my right after been married to my husband for 19 years. He has everything under his name. But the house was demolish and be rebuilt after been married for 13 or so year . Am i have the right on that? I don't know anything about law.please help.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 22 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You're legally entitled to 1/2 of all assets acquired during the marriage, regardless of whose name is ***** ***** That includes the value of the house, money in bank accounts, any 401(k) or other retirement accounts either of you has, stocks, other real estate, cars: everything. All assets must be split 50/50. If you have not worked during the marriage and do not have a means for supporting yourself, you also have a right to request alimony.

On top of that, if your husband controls all the assets, you can file a motion asking that he be required to give you an advance on your share of the assets so you can hire a lawyer to help with the case. Many lawyers will file this motion for you after you hire them. So if you would like to have an attorney assist you with the case, the fact that your husband controls all the assets doesn't mean you can't have one. A lawyer can also file a motion where you request that your husband be required to award you alimony while the divorce is pending so you can survive until the property division is complete.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 20 days ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?