P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

My mother owns a home in foreclosure in nj. I am her son her

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: my mother owns a home in foreclosure in nj. I am her son her husband passed away in 2006 (my father). I am on the deed but not the mortgage. The papers for foreclosure came in a set of 2. One with my name and stating me as her husband. What do I do about that or does it matter.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: new jersey and yes the first paperwork for the foreclosure came on monday
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The paperwork came monday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess that's it
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 28 days ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking if you can prevent foreclosure since they filed this improperly?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I want to know do I have any financial responsibility for this. I am not on the mortgage only the deed. My parents bought the house from me in 2005 and they put me on the deed as et al.

You have no liability...that is, if you are not on the mortgage, they can not force you to pay the mortgage or any deficiency after foreclosure.
That said, if you are listed as a party to a foreclosure lawsuit, I would consider hiring a lawyer and responding to ensure there is not a judgment issued against you.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding