How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

US Dept Education Student loans. In 1982 I paid off what I

Customer Question

US Dept Education Student loans. In 1982 I paid off what I thought was my loan. I did not hear from anyone until today. I was notified by NJ that my tax refund is being taken by Education Department. Tried to contact them told to contact collection agency. I also received letter from Dept of Education stating they will contact my employer and initiate garnishment at an amount that puts me into bankruptcy. They have added interest, etc., say loan is now in excess of $40,000.00. Since no prior contact was initiated can they take the actions with no notice or attempt to resolve the issue. Isn't there a statue of limitations, just question. What about partial loan forgiveness programs that have been initiated. I need help.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What options do I have?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am doing this for my son,he is traveling. He lives in New Jersey not California.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dept Education states they will contact my employer and start garnishment proceedings, what they said drives me to bankruptcy. This isn't fair.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Have you asked the collection agency to provide verification of the debt?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My name is Ray ******, I live in New Jersey. My father, in order to help,initiated the question. I live at *********************************. Phone *********. My father is charging to his credit card. My email address is ************, if you can't reach me on cell *********** call my work number ************* after 9:00am EST.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Rat's work number is ***********. It is 5:00 am EST He will be at work at 9:30am EST. Send him email to initiate phone call
or email to start email contact. He prefers phone call, please do your best to make contact. George ********
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please verify you will contact Rae ******** Friday morning EST through contact info I sent. Charges are going to my credit card number I supplied.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 8 months ago.

I do not make hone calls. Do you want me to refer the question to the other Experts?