TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

Are video surveillance installed in nursing units capable of

Customer Question

are video surveillance installed in nursing units capable of seeing open desk top records of patients while in use for care a violation of HIPPA?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illipnois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: none ye
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
thids not a traffic law question, this is HIPPA question on privacy of patients
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 22 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 22 days ago.

Hi again. Thanks for your patience.

Yes, a security camera that is able to view patient records would be a violation of HIPAA. The security camera should be situated such that it cannot view patient records. Or, in the alternative, patient records should not be placed such that the security camera can view such records.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 21 days ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.