Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I have a few questions, I love live in Texas. First let me

Customer Question

Hi Yes I have a few questions
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I love live in Texas. First let me start by saying that I am a victim of fraud. So let me tell you what happened
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: So I have been trying for this position at a very nice company called conifer. They sometimes use temp agencies to fill their positions. I have been trying to get this job forever
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 26 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me a little more about what happened and what I can answer for you, please.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Ok so I received an email from tenent health care asking if I was interested in an interview for the position I had applied for and of course I said yes. At first I didn't think i had done an application for a work from home data entry position with them. But there was my resume so it must have been what i had applied for. After I clicked yes I am interested it was was about 2 days before I received another email from the manager asking me for a Google email so we could be in contact over Google hangouts. From there she said since it was going to be an at home position she wanted to see how I was when it was just over phone and computer. So she conducted an interview of sorts where she had me send her typed assignments to get email to make sure i was competent with the computer. Well I was approved for the job and I was super excited it was supposed to pay 25 and hour and they would provide you with your own equipment i.e computer and printer as well as the data entry and medical billing software. To this she told me to se d my home address for the reimbursement check. And I did It came the next morning she said before we can proceed to the next part of training I had to purchase the software so i can begin to learn the protocalls. She asked me to deposit my start up check and to send me a picture of the deposit so she knows I completed my task. I did so and she asked when it would be available. Which the receipt said 10/11/16. So I told her that i was going to get on the phone with the banker and make sure the check came in the next day. She told me not to worry about it i could just pay it out of my account because i would be reimbursed for it . I agreed but said i would do it the following morning. When i woke up in the morning I left with my bf to go get breakfast and my card was declined. I checked my account and the 1000 something dollars I had In it was gone plus the 7500 from the check. I don't know how it was taken out of my account but the check came back as fake. And I didn't even take the money out. So now am i liable for this even tho I didn't know it was a scam and I didn't pull out the money ?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I can send the initial email and other correspondence with the woman
Expert:  Ely replied 26 days ago.
Thank you. I am sorry to say that you have been scammed in a very common (and very sophisticated) work-at-home scam. See here:
Note that here, the scammer used employment as the script, not a lottery, but the concept is the same.
Someone in your situation wants to file a complaint with WWW.IC3.GOV immediately - this is the website for the federal office that takes in complaints about scams and forward them to the appropriate authorities like the FBI. If the scammer is in USA, they may be caught.
Meanwhile however, I am afraid that you remain personally liable for the overdraft. I am sorry!
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 25 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!