Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was transferred to New Mexico to work at a college for the

Customer Question

I was transferred to New Mexico to work at a college for the VA as a Vet Success on Campus (VSOC) counselor, 2 months ago. I have a phone interview with the EEOC today and my union rep advised me to ask for damages for the emotional distress my Boss has inflicted. She has questioned my honesty has not sent me to the school because she was not comfortable with my skill level, she has made a racial comment about one of my clients, and I ultimately had to go to BEACON an emergency mental health group at the VA have been placed on antidepressants and go to counseling through a VA employee program. I am transferring and tomorrow is my last day but, since August 1st this woman has made my life difficult to say the least. I have anxiety, depression, am very frustrated, panic at the thought of having to see her, let alone talk to her, I no longer enjoy my job, I am a disabled veteran in a wheelchair and she gave me a caseload of clients that are 235 to 285 miles away knowing I can't drive a Government Vehicle because it cannot be adapted. There is a degrading group amongst the counselors and my boss they call
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is in New Mexico. this group they call "Kathy's Kids" its horrible they are all disabled veterans we take care of.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes to the EEOC and I have a phone meeting with my EEO counselor this morning and my union rep said to put a dollar amt. on the emotional distress I have experienced as a result of working here
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: *I've always loved being a Voc Rehab Counselor, I don't enjoy my work, I am lonely, feel hopeless, my migraines have increased in length and severity because of the stress, by questioning my skills she has defamed by character, I have done this job for nearly 4 years out based and have had all fully successful evaluation, got a letter of appreciation from the secretary of the VA this year and a certificate for advocacy from my last boss in Illinois, I come here and get beat in the ground and don't even get to do the job I was hired for.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Before I ask questions about your situation, I need to make sure that you understand how the website and rating system works.

Many times in employment law situations the law is not in favor of the employee. When that happens we have to give the person asking the question bad news. It's true, but sometimes it's not in their favor.

On this website the customer rates us experts at the end of the question and answer and every now and then a customer is unhappy about the law and gives a negative rating. Unfortunately, that negative rating is taken by the website to be a reflection on me, indicating that I wasn't polite, wasn't prompt, or provided a wrong answer.

I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but I just wanted to make sure that you understood how the system works and that you will rate me on my professionalism and not on whether the law is in your favor or not, since I have no control over that.

1) With that understanding, do you want me to discuss this in more detail with you?

2) If so, is there a specific question with which I could assist?