KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW

Is property management responsible if owner enters without

Customer Question

is property management responsible if owner enters without renters notice
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: arizona
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no things missing
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: when I leave they come in
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 25 days ago.

Good morning.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 25 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Under Arizona law, the landlord or its legal agent the management company doesn't have any liability to you for the theft inside your apartment, unless the landlord management company participated in the theft or the employees were somehow negligent and the negligence was the cause of the loss.

A good example is if the landlord hires a maintenance worker, and the worker then left the apartment unlocked after they left, that is what we call under the law negligence, failing to lock the place up would give you a claim against the landlords/management companies insurance, for the negligent employees.

But, generally, and in most cases, an employer is not liable for crimes committed by employees because committing crimes is not within the scope of employment. So, even if a maintenance person did it (something which is far from certain given the facts you posted), the landlord is very likely not responsible for that. If the building or apartment was not properly secured by the management company/landlord and your apartment was broken into then you would still have to prove negligence, and establish what they failed to do to keep the premises secure.

So, in order to hold the management company liable you would have to have prove that they were somehow negligent, and then present the proof to their insurance company and possibly the court of the negligence, if they deny the claim.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 24 days ago.

Please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you do not rate the question I will not get paid for assisting you with your question. You will not be charged extra to rate the question and you can ask follow up questions after you rate the question.​

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 22 days ago.
If you have any other questions please ask.