ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My brother is in a private state prison in Florida. He is

Customer Question

My brother is in a private state prison in Florida. He is diabetic, with high blood pressure and has severe restless leg syndrome. He has been receiving his diabetic and high blood pressure meds but they have not been giving him his restless leg meds ( Mirapex) now for 6 months. He is only sleeping one to two hours a night. He has filed grievance letters, I have written to 8 different people and all we keep getting is they will check on it, but no one does anything about it. What is the law regarding this issue.
Charlene Pelland
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. At this point in time, where they're not giving you any answers and don't appear to actually be looking into the matter, you could escalate it to the level of a civil rights issue. That is, you can contact the ACLU (https://action.aclu.org/secure/fl-legal-intake)or other prisoner rights organization (such as https://www.floridajusticeinstitute.org/advocacy/prisoners-rights/) and let them know the situation. Even though it's a private prison, it's being operated as an agent of the government, and thus still has to respect civil liberties. And that means that prisoners have to get necessary medications. What would happen, most likely, is that they would then be in contact with the same entities that you sent letters to. But having a civil rights lawyer send the letters means that it would have a much better chance of success, as the recipients of those letters would know that the next step for the lawyer would be a lawsuit.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?